My little Avery is only four, but he's already amassed quite a book collection and loves to 'read' and of course be read to. Even with all the books he has, there's several books we love reading all the time. Some books just open kids creative minds up, that's what makes reading books with little ones so much fun. I've rounded up 16 pf the best super fun books for preschoolers, that are fun to read over and over again for both parent and child.
Along with sharing some fun books, I wanted to what's made our bedtime routine, so much easier (no more tears! and no more hopping into bed with mom and dad!) Some kids are super easy when it comes to bedtime, however Avery is was so not that kid. Which makes me laugh because, our older kids was the opposite and never resisted going to be. It's funny how each child is very different.
Bed time used to be so stressful: bathtime followed by reading a few books followed by cry time. After looking online, I found a super cute little owl nightlight. However, it's not the typical nightlight that's plugged in the wall. The owl is is battery operated and has a handle that little ones can carry, plus a simple button to turn on & off . I love that it automatically shuts off after 20 mins. The handle is perfect for little ones to carry to the bathroom at night, and leave on while they drift to sleep. The little owl has made our nighttime routine happy and stress free. Avery named the owl 'Pete' and we turn it on while reading his books at bedtime, he tucks Pete next to him and asks for all the lights off, then just like that he's asleep. I highly recommend the Munchkin Light Owl for any parents dealing with nighttime stress.
Below are the books my little one and I love reading over & over, a fun mix of new and classics books. All our a must addition for any preschooler you know. From left to right:
The 16 Best Books for Preschoolers
- The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Cars and Trucks & Things The Go by Richard Scarry
- The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson (highly recommend for both boys & girls and watch the movie on Netlfix or AmazonPrime! It's such a cute read. Avery has memorized the book!
- Stick Man by Julia Donaldson (another fun read from by Julia Donalsdson + the movie is on AmazonPrime, seriously such an adorable movie)
- The Gruffalo's Child By Julia Donaldson
- Dinosaurs Love Underpants By Claire Freedman
- The Snail & The Whale By Julia Donaldson
- Press Here By Herve Tullet
- The Spiffiest Giant in Town By Julia Donaldson
- The Giving Tree By Shel Silverstein
- Brown Bear. Brown Bear What Do You See? By Bill Martin & Eric Carle
- Animal Builders By Sharon Rentta
- Room on the Boom By Julia Donaldson
- Goodnight Moon (a classic every child should own!) By Margaret Wise Brown
- Raccoon on the Moon By Russel Punter
- The Good Dinosaur (a new fav) By Bill Scollon
Did you notice the theme? 6 of the 16 favorite books in our home where from the author Julia Donaldson, I can't say enough how much these books have opened up Avery's imagination. Her play on words, makes it easy for him to memorize the pages + he loves making up his own stories based on his top fav books (The Gruffalo & Gruffalo's Child) Avery was even the Gruffalo for Halloween! To watch him fall in love with reading and creating his own stories has been a joy as a parent.
What are your favorite books to read with your little ones? Do you remember your favorite kids books from your childhood? I was always a huge fan the Little Critters series & Berenstain Bears.